But you can hide from the adventure of a lifetime! So on we go :)
Last night we stayed in a hotel just outside of Arlington, and since that is just four shirt hours from New York, we decided to stop and spend a few hours in Washington DC. Oh how I wish we could have stayed longer! Seen everything, read everything, visited every museum, the cemetery....I could spend days in DC. But I'm so glad we got to spend the time that we did! It was nicks idea to embark on the detour, I'm glad he had the foresight to know that it would be totally worth
Sadly, eventually it was time to go and we proceeded to drive through Maryland, Delaware and to the other side of. New Jersey. Not much stood out about those states to us. there was a fair amount of traffic all throughout Delaware, and the states over here seem to loooooove toll roads (we've spent at least $30 on tolls so far).
finally, we got to Newark, where we would be staying for the night. If you ever have the opportunity to visit Newark....don't. ghetto doesn't even begin to describe it. Growing up in San Diego, I have been exposed to what I considered "ghetto" before. That does not come close. In fact, let me share the story of events with you.
We got to Newark around 7ish, and we checked in at the hotel (which was thankfully, very nice and in a little bubble of not-so-ghetto that seemed to surround the airport). We could see the rental car place (because nick needed to pick up his rental car for work) from our hotel, it was directly on the other side of the freeway. It took us Around TWO HOURS to get there and back because the freeway system is Insane! And the drivers are even more so. Finally, we made it back to the hotel with the rental car and significantly higher blood pressure than I have ever had in my whole life, and we brought our stuff inside.
We wanted, oh so deeply, to call it a night and not venture out Into the madhouse again.
But..
We hadn't. Eaten. Dinner.
So out we went, at this point it was around 9:30 at night and we were starving. So starving that we would have even settled for mcdonalds. It was that bad. We searched, oh how we searched. We searched newark- nothing. We crosed the bridge to New York- we found nothing. We thought "hey, New. York is the city that never sleeps right?! Let's go search the city!"- nothing. These people don't eat apparently, or at least not fast food.
Finally, we decided to just go to a grocery store to pick something up. Healthier that way anyway. So I consulted google, found a grocery store and put the address in the GPS. Where we ended up was...well, let's put it this way- if you could rate the "ghettoness" on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst, I would give that neighborhood at least a 10. At least.
We weren't even there yet when nick made the executive decision that he was not comfortable in the neighborhood and we headed back to the hotel. It was 11:45 at this point, our quest for food had ended. We threw in the towel.
On our way back to the hotel, we saw this lit up sign that said "pizza!", how stomachs growled in excitement! We slowly drove by to see if it was a place we would feel comfortable going inside.
It wasn't.
What we saw were two thug like creatures receiving slices of pizza through a giant iron gate put there to protect the employees.
"Nope! Not going in there! Nope!"
We got back to the hotel and Derek had already passed out, but Landon was awake and hungry.
So, I went to the hotel restaurant to pretty much beg for anything, haha. They were so nice and agreed to make some chicken tenders for us. We paid $23 for 6 chicken fingers *sigh*, it was worth it. Sooooooo worth it. Best chicken tenders I have ever eaten in my life.
For the country girl that I seem to have turned into, New York is proving to be a special kind of hell. What I wouldn't give to go back to Virginia.
I'm sure tomorrow will be better....time for bed.
(There are a bunch of pictures that I need to add here! They are all on nicks phone though, so I new to remember to put them on a computer...I'll get on that)
No comments:
Post a Comment