I guess you could say Saturday december 19th is when it all started. It was a fun day, we spent some time at the beach, hung out with family, came home and watched a movie it was a great day! Then Nick went to bed at 10:30pm I...tried, but Landon never let me sleep at night! silly little man. instead i cleaned the kitchen and started making an apple crisp and some enchiladas for sundays lunch. FINALLY i started getting tired, so i packaged everything up and put it all in the refidgerator when at around 11:50pm i felt a contraction, a rolling contraction that was different then anything i had felt in the last 9 months and i knew He was coming, i just KNEW. I got so excited! :) i litterally skipped to the bedroom to wake up Nick, i jumped into bed and whispered "i think i'm in labor!" but in our bradley classes we learned that there would probably be a lot of false alarms before the real shabang so nick said "it's probably just a false alarm, try to go to sleep" :( as i thought "there's no way! this can't be a false alarm, i can just tell" i said, "yeah, okay your probably right" and i lay down to try and sleep...but of course, i couldn't. the contractions grew slowly stronger and i grew increasingly more excited until i just couldn't lay down anymore! i went to the living room and started a movie for a distraction and started practicing different things i had learned in class to ease the discomfort. Eventually it grew to be to much for me, so i went back to the bedroom to wake up nick this time i said "false labor or not, i need your help" slowly he woke up (haha, poor guy), with his help it was a lot easier he massaged my back and applied pressure where i needed it. for two hours he timed the contractions, but they were all over the place! there was absolutely no pattern when it came to them getting progressively longer and closer together. Eventually Nick suggested that we stop timing and turn on a movie for a distraction and try to get some sleep. I agreed and he fell asleep pretty quickly, I...did not. I drifted off to sleep quite a few times mind you, but i eventually decided that waking up because every muscle in your abdominal region is contracting is probably the MOST unpleasant way to wake up :)..so, i went to take a bath, which helped SOO much, until i got cold and didnt feel like filling up the tub again. the night continued on like that until around 9 in the morning, the contractions were not any more regular and nick was growing more convinced that i was in false labor, nevertheless he suggested calling Angel for some advice (Angel is a Doula, had three kids and has been there for i dont even know how many births). so i did, i told her everything that was going on and she said it was probably just very intense braxton hicks :(, but that i should pack just in case and come over while she heated up the hot tub. we got there around ten and decided to go on a walk around the block to kick start things.
**sadly that's all I wrote! but I think I'm going to go ahead and finish this with what I can remember.
I remember walking around the block, but it don't really remember if that kick started things. We got back to angels house and I slipped on a bathing suit to get into the hot tub. Which didn't have enough time to heat up, so it was more like a cold tub, regardless- water REALLY helps make labor contractions more manageable, I cannot even tell you guys how much better it felt to be in the water.
I remember being in the hot tub and every time a contraction came I would lean on nick who was outside of the tub and he would rub my lower back really hard. Meanwhile (and this may seem weird, haha) but I put my face on his cheek and the two distractions of his hand on my back and the feeling of his facial hair (since he didn't have a chance to shave that morning, lol) on my cheek was enough to get me through each one.
I remember that at this point my contractions were still all over the place, not getting closer together at all, literally all over the place. And because of that, neither nick or angel were convinced that I was in real labor yet.
Until I said "I think I'm feeling that need to push...I'm not really sure though"
And Angel said "time to go!" And told Nick to get the car.
I remember telling angel that I would be so embarrassed if we went all the way to the hospital and wasn't really in labor, and I remember her laughing and saying "you're definitely in labor, almost done if you feel that need to push"
So off to the hospital we went.
I was admitted immediately, because I was "obviously in labor" haha. A few minutes after we got there I was checked to see how dilated I was.
The midwife said "the good news is, your 9 centimeters dilated, (Score! That was exactly when I wanted to get to the hospital.) the bad news is I'm feeling testicles" (it's a boy! Oh my gosh! It's a boy! Wait....that means he's breech, what does that mean? What happens now?)
It took almost everything that I had to ask the question.
"Does that mean I need a c-section?"
I don't remember the answer. Something about how the only doctor that would attempt a breech delivery was on Christmas vacation. Something about how a c-section is probably the safest option for me and my son. Essentially...yes, yes I would.
What happened next was chaos. It felt like there was a sea of people coming in making sure that I knew everything that could go wrong during the procedure. That I could die. That the baby could die. That we could have lifelong complications. And all I could do was sign. While still battling those contractions, I had to sign.
I remember looking over at Nick and he started to cry, I had only ever seen him cry once before and that put me over the edge. I started bawling. This was NOT how it was supposed to go. I was NOT supposed to be terrified right now.
At this point I was pushing, I couldn't stop it. There was nothing that I could do. Landon was coming. They took me to the OR alone, nick was not allowed in there while I got the spinal. This was the worst part, I had only seconds between contractions, despite that they told me that I needed to stay completely still while they gave me the spinal or I could potentially be permanently paralyzed.
That was not easy. But I did it!
They brought nick in right after that.
I don't remember if I heard landon cry. I don't remember if they showed him to us right when he was born. I remember craning my head to look behind me where they had him. I remember nick saying he wasn't breathing, but apparently that's normal for c-sections babies because the crap doesn't get squeezed out of them as they are being born. I remember finally hearing him cry and they immediately gave him to nick and I just lay there crying as I held his little hand. My life, in that moment, was perfect.
Landon Mikael Jones- it doesn't matter how you got here. I'm just happy it was safely! Love you kid. With all my heart.


No comments:
Post a Comment