Nothing about any of that sits right with Nick and I. So a few days ago we called it quits! No more screens! iPads and phones stay on top of the fridge at all times when we are together as a family, they only come down while the boys are awake for quick texts and phone calls, and to take pictures. The Movies are up high and the boys have zero access to anything electronic.
It has been WONDERFUL! I swear, they must have just been over stimulated because they have been angel children these last couple of days (not perfect, haha. But happier, and they have been playing together really well) And family time has been top notch. We learn, we play, we cuddle, we bond! I don't think the screens are ever coming back! :D
*this next part isn't a tangent, it's connected! I swear*
For the last few weeks we have been doing family reading time after our nighttime scripture study. Right now we're reading Harry potter and for the last few days Landon and I have had many conversations about wizards chess. One day he got super depressed and just sat on the couch hanging his head, when I sat next to him to ask him what was wrong his reply was "I just wish wizards chess was real"
Haha.
I had to tell him that even though wizards chess isn't real, normal chess is real. And one day, when he was a little older I would teach him how to play. That did not brighten his mood, so I promised him that I would teach him how to play checkers, which is like chess, but for kids!
He got SUPER excited at that thought.
But I was faced with a small conundrum! I couldn't go out and buy checkers, we're driving to New York on Friday and our car can't really fit anything else.
I could download a checkers app....but that would mean bringing out the screen....
Never fear! Paper and crayons TO the rescue!
Don't judge it too harshly. I didn't have anything to measure with, plus my hand started to hurt pretty bad. And also....I got a Little bored.
(No pun intended. Haha!)
Landon picked up the rules SO quickly and rocked that game!
He freaked out a little every time he saw that he could do a double jump.
And I totally let him win ;)
I think we will be getting hours of entertainment out of this makeshift game!
and I am super excited for the incredibly fun memories that we are making as we try to negate our dependency on screens :).





No comments:
Post a Comment